Thursday 1 December 2011

First Day of Advent!

It's started! Yay!!

You can see whats happening with my advent calendar on it's own special page.

Along with the excitement of advent starting, I've had an eventful day.

I had lots of successful bloods and cannulae, I got all my paperwork done early and I remembered a brolly to walk from my car to the hospital without getting soaked. My reward for being so productive was an afternoon in NICU.

I find NICU a magical place. It's quite, full of teeny tiny babies in what look like little space pods with lots of tubes and glowing lights. It's also where the clever doctors are, busy interpretting the rows and rows of blood and blood gas results along with oxygen saturations, heart rates, respiratory rates, ventilator settings...

Unfortunately my reward wasn't quite as jolly as I'd hoped. The few hours I was in NICU with my reg coincided with the death of a baby who had their treatment withdrawn earlier in the day. The room was crowed with parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all saying goodbye. It was such an emotional moment that I felt really intrusive just being in the same room as them. I'm finding it really hard to express the way I felt about it all, but sad would definitely be one of the words I would use. I've wanted to tell someone about it all evening, but I haven't known where to start. Luckly a few texts with a friend who is a paeds trainee have really helped. It's reassuring to be told that it's good to care and it's alright to be sad.

I could still do with a hug right now though!

Dr Sunshine xXx

3 comments:

  1. Did you get your hug Dr M?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a hug with Teddy C, but not an actual human hug. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. well Dr Lily, I hope you get a human hug soon x

    ReplyDelete