Monday 9 January 2012

New Year New Attitude

I know this is over a week late, but better late than never.

I got New Year's weekend off, which was lovely after the hard work I put in over Christmas. I'm not sure if it was celebrating New Year or having 3 days off in a row that was more enjoyable? Must have been a great combination of the two.

I've got over 1/4 of the way through my surgical rotation. Hurrah!

I need to pull my finger out a bit, and get some of the assessments for my ePortfolio done, but it's actually going OK. With all of the on calls I did over the festive period I made a resolution to myself. To relax a bit.

I'm learning more and more that getting stressed out doesn't help things, so the best thing is to just chill out. Stressing doesn't make my patients better. Stressing doesn't get my jobs done faster. Stressing certainly doesn't put a smile on my face.

For the last week I've managed to not let things get me down. If I have a lot of jobs I prioritise. If the nurses shout at me for urgent discharge notifications I don't let it get to me. We all have a job to do, it's not personal. I do the most important stuff first and quite simply that's all that matters.

On the whole this has made me a pretty chilled out and cheerful surgical f1. Let's hope that I can maintain this attitude for the next 40 years.

Dr Sunshine xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment