Tuesday 16 August 2011

Settling In

Now that I've been on the ward for 3 weeks (if you include shadowing), I'm really starting to feel like I know what I'm doing. A lot of being an FY1 is like being a medical secretary. I now know the right numbers to call to talk to different people about different tests, I know the clinicians who are the most helpful and I know where to find people when talking on the phone just doesn't work. I'm also getting rather familar with the fax machine to refer patients.

Every time I send or receive something with "Dr Sunshine" on it, I still can't really believe it. I feel a bit naughty for even writing it. In fact if it wasn't for people constantly reminding me to, I probably wouldn't half the time.

It also feels really weird to introduce myself as one of the doctors. I always stress that I'm one of the junior doctors on the team, but even that feels like misleading people. I guess as time goes on it will slowly sink in.

I've also now done 2 paediatric cannulas. Neither really count, one was a 13 yr old and the other an 11 yr old. I'm going to aim for an under 10 this week. To make life more difficult our cannulas have changed this week too. Fabulous. I also said I'd let my med student practice on me... eek!

Now that I'm getting to grips with day to day life on the ward I need to get stuck in to my e-portfolio. I've done one case based discussion, but I really should make the most of having a lot of supervision around and encourage the registrars to go through more with me.

Just as importantly I need to start learning how to balance work, social life and sleep... I need about 5 hrs more a day!

Dr Sunshine xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment