Monday 4 July 2011

Spoiled Rotten


Since finishing my exams I really have been spoiled. I'd feel guilty about it, but it really sweetens the fact that I worked so hard for the last 6 years and will now probably be working even harder for at least the next 40.

Yesterday was a particularly decadent day.

I woke up late, just in time to meet madsadgirl for lunch in our usual haunt. Not only did she surprise me with a lovely card and a cute little Boofle teddy, she also treated me to a bottle of bubbly over lunch. Now after the champagne overkill of results day I thought I'd never be able to look at another glass, but I'm glad I'd got over that by yesterday as it was a lovely treat. I managed a tipsy stumble home and a lovely afternoon nap before I started part 2 of my Sunday.

I was meeting the man once he finished work. He always teases me for being really indecisive, so (for once) I made a decision and suggested we go to the cinema. Unfortunately for him that was as far as my decision making went. We started by a little cocktail pre-cinema to get the evening started and then we toddled off to Leicester Square. After a stand-off in the queue we (ok... he), finally decided we were going to see the new X-Men film. I have a secret superhero obsession so this suited me to the ground. Thankfully I managed to only jump off my seat and gasp out loud about 6 times during the film so I wasn't too much of an embarrassment.

The film finished at around 11, so as you can imagine (even though we'd been nibbling on popcorn), the hunger pangs started to set in. One of the things I am going to miss most about London is the fact that you can go out for  a meal that late on a Sunday. We wandered into ChinaTown and I stuffed myself silly with all kinds of yummy.

We started the wander home, and then the man dragged me into what looked like a bizarre underground public toilet. Don't worry, this isn't going to get explicit... it was actually a really cool little bar I never knew exsisted, even though I've walked past it a million times. CellarDoor was a small but perfectly formed trendy little underground drinking hole. It was made even more exciting by the fact the loo doors are magic glass. Basically you walk in and think the loo doors are totally see-through, until you turn the lock and they become opaque. AMAZING. They also gave little bowls of warm popcorn out and the waitress wore fairy wings. Strange, but good! I'm gutted I didn't know about this place before and will most definitely be dragging people there whenever I'm visiting London.

What was even more amazing than the wonderful day I had was the fact that in the evening I managed to moderate my drinking and therefore slept like a baby and woke up without a hangover. Bliss.

Now I just need to make sure that the rest of my summer holidays are as lovely as Sunday was.

Dr Sunshine xXx

2 comments:

  1. What you don't know is that after leaving you and getting a bus home when I called in at the corner shop to buy some Diet Coke I found that I had lost my purse. Very embarrassed, I apologised and legged it(well as fast as I can with this dodgy hip) across the road and home to log onto the computer to find the phone number for our usual haunt. Fortunately my purse was found by the nice young man who cleared our table and it had been given to the manager who told me it was safe behind the bar. So, it was back to the bus stop and another trip to the pub to collect it and to offer profuse thanks to the nice young man. After the initial shock of finding my purse had gone missing and then the relief of finding out that it was safe, any soporific action that the champagne may have had on me had dissipated and I sat down at the computer and created a new knitting pattern for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh!! You really had a busy afternoon then! I'm glad they had your purse nice and safe!

    ReplyDelete